Tuesday, March 17, 2009

10 Things You Can Do About Domestic Violence

People have been asking me "What can I do about domestic violence? Is there something I can do to help?" Here is a short list of ideas. Certainly you can add your ideas or additions at the end:

1) Sign the MADE petition to get dating violence curriculum in schools. Go to http://www.loveisnotabuse.com/made

2) Find out more about domestic violence. Go to www.clicktoempower.org and see the stories of survivors and what made the difference for them.

3) Go to www.avon.com and buy the Women's Empowerment Necklace or Bracelet.

4) Learn about how domestic violence impacts your workplace by visiting www.caepv.org.

5) Remember the National Domestic Violence Hotline Number: 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) or www.ndvh.org. You can call to help others or yourself.

6) Donate your old cell phone (any brand) at any Verizon Wireless store or use free mailing label www.verizonwireless.com/hopelinemailinglabel

7) Learn to talk to your kids about healthy relationships by downloading tip booklets from www.loveisnotabuse.com.

8) Try to understand what happens in DV and how it impacts people. Check out http://www.domesticviolenceworkplace.blogspot.com. And comment!

9) Don't ask "Why would that victim go back?" ask "Why would a person hit or abuse someone they love?"

10) Be safe, healthy and happy in your own relationships. Because you matter. And you deserve it. And you are very, very precious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

I was very happy to happen upon your site. I am a survivor of domestic violence both from my childhood and also from an ex and recently started a blog on domestic violence, relationships, and women and self-esteem. Feel free to check out my blog at www.thelychee.com . I would love to hear your comments too! Also, I will add a link to your site from my blog and if you're interested, please feel free to add mine as well.

Thank you for all the work that you do.

All the best,

TheLychee