Did you know that 1 in 5 relationships now start online?
On Tuesday, October 5, 2010, the Corporate Alliance to End Partner Violence, Radio Bloomington and other community organizations throughout Central Illinois are co-sponsoring "It's Time to Talk Day" to bring awareness to the important issue of domestic violence. This year the theme is "It's Time to Talk: Dating Safety & Technology - Log On, Look Up, Speak Out."
Event topics will focus on the role technology now has in our dating relationships--for tweens and adults--including staying safe online, sexting, cyberstalking, and the legal issues surrounding these topics.
Local CAEPV members and community partners will participate in "It's Time to Talk Day" in the following ways:
Local governments, universities & colleges will issue proclamations of "It's Time to Talk Day" and encourage citizens to take a moment to talk about healthy and unhealthy relationships.
A news conference to announce "It's Time to Talk Day" will be held at 8:00AM on October 5 at Young Main Lounge in Illinois Wesleyan University's Memorial Center.
The Corporate Alliance to End Partner Violence and the 11th Judicial Circuit Family Violence Coordinating Council are co-sponsoring a FREE conference at Young Main Lounge in Illinois Wesleyan University's Memorial Center. This conference, "Dating Safety & Technology - Log On, Look Up, Speak Out" will look at how various technologies play a role in our dating relationships--and what we can do to stay safe and keep our relationships healthy.
Soroptimist of Bloomington-Normal is hosting a Lunch & Learn "I'm Your Mother, Not Your Friend....Except on Facebook" for parents at Lancaster's Fine Dining in Downtown Bloomington.
Other "It's Time to Talk Day" projects and events include:
- Distributing educational materials in workplaces
- Distributing domestic violence awareness brochures to clients
- Holding seminars for employees
- Providing information to employees via the Internet and Intranet
- Writing informational articles for employee newsletters
- Working with local schools to share the message about safety and wellness
- Providing Public Service Announcements and radio interviews on Radio Bloomington stations
- Viral text and Facebook messages promoting respectful texting
- Electronic billboard messages
- AND MORE!
You can learn more by clicking here.