Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

It is July 2 -- and I am thinking about the 4th of July which is Independence Day here in the United States. And technically, the 2nd of July is the day that the Continental Congress voted to separate themselves from the British Government so it is an important day too -- in fact I think that John Adams considered it the "real" Independence Day. But I digress.

I was reading one of those electronic billboards on my way to work today that said that the United States is the only country in the world with an actual birthday -- I wonder if that is true? If so, that is certainly an interesting factoid.

Independence Day -- coined with these words, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Those are really powerful, amazing words. And it is amazing to be free and live free and know who you are and why you are here on this earth.

For those who are not free for whatever reason today, who are cannot celebrate freedom or independence, I pray for the day that they are able to know true life, liberty and the pursuit of true happiness. I pray for safe homes, safe communities, safe countries, and a safe world on this "almost" Independence Day.

No comments: