Friday, February 15, 2008

What A February 14 It Has Been

I am glad it is Friday. What a week this has been. From a personal perspective, Valentine's Day was a difficult day here in Illinois with the awful situation at Northern Illinois University and my heart goes out to all the families involved and impacted.

It was a little weird for me personally because my dad teaches part-time at NIU (it is his "retirement job") in the graduate marketing department, and I did not know if he would be on campus or not yesterday. I was so relieved to hear his voice when I called and found out he was not there yesterday. I cannot imagine what it must have been like for people who were there, or who had family members there. They did not get to make such fortunate phone calls.

I know it is my job to discuss workplace violence and workplace safety issues and prevention and all that-- but now is not the time. There will be other days and other times to talk about that. Right now the focus should be on the people and their families and what they need. And especially for those who have lost family members.

My heart and my prayers go out to all involved. I am so deeply, deeply sorry for you all. God bless you.

No comments: