Friday, August 03, 2007

Reese Witherspoon Is Avon's Global Ambassador

Avon Products, Inc. announced earlier this week that it signed world-renowned, Oscar-winning actress, Reese Witherspoon, as the company’s first ever Global Ambassador. In this newly-established role, Ms. Witherspoon will serve as the Honorary Chairman of CAEPV Member the Avon Foundation, focusing on breast cancer, domestic violence and emergency relief initiatives, and she will be the spokeswoman for Avon’s beauty brands and Sales Representatives.

The Avon Foundation and Ms. Witherspoon will partner in raising awareness for the Foundation’s programs in the areas of breast cancer, domestic violence and emergency relief. The Avon Foundation is a 501(c)(3) public charity founded in 1955 with the mission of championing the health and well being of women globally through its philanthropic efforts.

“I am very excited to be partnering with Avon. Avon is more than an iconic world class beauty leader — it is a company that is known the world over as a crusader for women’s causes,” said Ms. Witherspoon. “I am truly impressed by how Avon has been able to effect real change in the communities in which it does business, and by how committed the company is to providing economic and personal fulfillment to women all over the world. I feel a great responsibility in my own life to give back to society. Now, as the Honorary Chairman of the Avon Foundation, I am proud to be joining in the great philanthropic work that is already underway.”

I think this is really cool -- I have noticed how much attention this has drawn to the issue of domestic violence since the announcement. People really admire Reese Witherspoon and her attention on the issue may cause them to think about it as they never have before.

Salma Hayek has also been involved with the Avon Foundation and with the issue of domestic violence and has been an outspoken celebrity regarding its effects on families. I remember hearing her speak about it, and I will never forget one thing she said. Ms. Hayek said people often ask her why she is involved with talking about domestic violence when she was not involved in it personally.

Here is the quote that stuck with me: "People ask me, 'Why are YOU involved in this issue?', and I ask, 'Why are you NOT?" (Salma Hayek)

No comments: