Friday, October 15, 2004

Who can be a victim of intimate partner violence?

DVA2004 made a comment regarding my post on "It's Time To Talk Day" and I want to respond. First of all, thank you for your comment reminding people that ANYONE can be a victim of intimate partner violence -- doesn't matter what you look like, where you live, what you do for a living, where you went to school or anything else.

Since it can (and does) happen to anyone -- what you'll find on this blog are my thoughts and information I've found about how to help people -- whether they are male or female, batterers or victims.

I think we can all agree that the one place we should be safe and secure is in our own homes -- and from there, I think that the workplace has a great opportunity to reach out and provide employees with information and referrals so they can get help for themselves and their families. Employers also have a great opportunity to provide policies and programs that allow those involved in family violence to seek help.

As one person told me -- if it were not for the fact that my workplace has a program to deal with this issue, not only would I probably not have a job today -- I probably would not be alive today.

Thanks for listening!

No comments: